Get personal

Love me? Hate me? E-mail me

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Say What You Want, But the Playmaker is a CHAMP

I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan since a little boy, but the memories really are from the 80s and 90s. I remember some real tough times and I wondered if I'd ever see America's Team win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. I remember Danny White leading a sinking ship and a slew of quarterbacks who probably couldn't even lead an Arena league team. We had Tony Dorsett and then Herschel Walker. Ed Too Tall Jones, Randy White.

But when Michael Irvin was drafted 11th overall in the 1988 NFL draft, it was the beginning of the transformation. Yes, we have to thank the Minnesota Vikings for the Herschel Walker trade.

But Irvin started it all. And after 12 seasons and 159 games, he left the game after a scary injury against the Eagles---one I will never forget because of the cheers from the ruthless Eagles fans as Irvin was carted off the field.

No. 88 was a Star. Say what you want about him and his personal choices outside of football, but Irvin was a player.

And this weekend, he will be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

Why? Try: Three Super Bowl rings. 750 receptions. 11,904 yards and 65 touchdowns.

No comments: