Get personal

Love me? Hate me? E-mail me

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Odds and Ends: Hamlin, Garrett

There is some talk among some Cowboys that safety Ken Hamlin has played well enough for a longterm contract. I won't argue they are wrong. In fact, I can argue they are right.

"He needs to be here for the long term," Cowboys linebacker Bradie James said. "For the defense, he fits in real well."
Fair enough. I have vivid memories of the huge plays the secondary gave up last year when rookie Pat Watkins and veteran Keith Davis started. Those plays are exactly why the Cowboys sought Hamlin from the Seahawks. But I was skeptical that the Cowboys were going after a safety with a reputation of being a hard hitter with average coverage skills. We needed a cover safety. But Hamlin has impressed all Cowboys fans.

Hamlin is second on the team with 65 tackles and has four interceptions.
"It's great having him back there," cornerback Jacques Reeves said. "In a certain coverage, if he is supposed to have my back, he's going to be there. We always know what's going on because of him."
Hamlin signed a one year contract for $2.5 million. Add him to the list of players who deserves to stay in the Blue and Silver.

But someone just as important to the team may not be there next year: Jason Garrett. I guess we can consider the source and wonder what acumen he has to make such a prediction, but it still made my skin crawl.

In a Dallas News interview Aikman said Garrett would be a head coach somewhere in the NFL next year. I guess the insight Aikman might have is that Garrett was his back up in Dallas during the glory years. They probably still talk a lot. Has Garrett already been contacted? Can Jerry Jones offer him a package he can't refuse? Do we have the money to do that and keep the nucleus of the team intact?

Big questions. I hope Jones has the answers.

No comments: